How I Met Him: A Progression of My Dating Life. (Some Sprinkles of Hope for the Single Individual).

So.

I know for a fact some of my fellow readers are curious about my new, human who seems to constantly by my side.(I enjoy it VERY much do not worry :) ) This is the journey so far...

June 06, 2017 1054 CST Excelsior, Minnesota

And so it begins.

-Hastily pulling out my debit card and punching in 4 hours for my parking meter, $12 dollars gleefully sucked away to the governement as I round the corner of the docks waiting for my date to arrive. 
I hadn't been on a first date in a while and it was easy to see I was nervous. -

Dates hadn't always been my strong point. Easy enough to see being that I'd never been asked on a second date. I was nearing the point of giving up all hope on finding a future forever friend when I met this extraordinary man.
"Caleb"

-He smiled at me and introduced himself and I did the same. I had taken quite the liking to this boy because he was different from the ones I was used to being approached by. We walked along the streets of Excelsior, making small talk and sharing in each other's company until we reached Lago's Tacos and stopped in for a bite. (We both love anything with guac or salsa). All the while we chatted and allowed the occasional full, real laugh. I couldn't help but notice how infectious his smile was and couldn't help myself to burst out laughing when he did. But this isn't when I really started connecting with him. No, not yet reader.-

Call me old fashioned if you will. But I fully believe in love. I believe in courtship and I fully believe that everyone, no matter your history, has someone out there that God has so carefully hand-picked for you.
I wasn't used to men like this individual. I was so terrified that I would end up alone and unhappy, so swimming in depression lost to the fact that God has already chosen my future husband that I had begun to accept that I didn't deserve to have the love that other couples too easily reciprocated to each other. Most boys would talk to me until they realized I was not interested in sex and then drop me as if I was the plague.

Tell me how that doesn't ruin all the confidence and self-love you thought you once possessed.

 I didn't believe that happiness, the peace that one feels when everything works out so well in a good relationship was meant to be bestowed upon me dear reader. I had become hopeless. The last, dare I even say boy I had trusted and had begun to develop feelings for had completely destroyed my trust and ruined what little shreds of self-esteem and self-confidence I had left with one fell swoop. I was broken, I was hurting, and I was ready to give up on this torturous love game.

-After the delicious food we made our way to an overlook of Lake Excelsior and just talked. For 4 fleeting hours, just conversed about anything and everything. I didn't know I could laugh and smile so much that my face hurt. This simple but so important experience dear reader is where I really started to realize how much I enjoyed this man's company. He valued me, not who he wanted me to be or expected me to be. But for who I was, and that dear reader, is what everyone should strive to find.-

Having experienced a date with a gentleman as he so respectably is, (thank you Nancy!)  the best thing for me. I felt like he actually wanted to know about me and not as so much of popular culture is into the oh so infamous "one night stand". He made me feel a happiness I had not known, or ever known and it surprised me. I didn't know you feel so genuinely happy with someone of the opposite sex.

-He walked me back to my car and teased me about how I was nervous about my car being towed while he hadn't even bothered with the parking meter, gave me a hug and told each other how much fun it was and continued on with our day, both with sheepishly large grins completely plastered on our reddening faces.  (I was too much of a wuss to kiss him, my bad readers).
He texted me not long after asking when I would want to go out again.
Me? A second date with this amazing man?! Needless to say I was ecstatic; and so it began-

If I can recall anything from my Sunday School days, it was from one of my best friends taking time to tell us who we need to look for in a man. (Eric)
"Find the man, not the boy. The man who respects you, who treats you as if you're a princess among commoners. Who walks on the side closest to the road to keep you safe, and opens the door for you no matter how much you protest and has endless laughter with you no matter the setting. Find that Godly man. " (Paraphrasing of my dear friend Eric Gafkjen).


-Nearing 8 months of knowing and 4 months of dating this man, it is easy to tell that he is a man of God, he respects his family and respects me to no end and PRAYS for me after our dates. He still teases me(which I love, we're quite punny...hehehe) and displays all of the dream guy material Eric told me oh so long ago. It amazes me how I am lucky enough to be bestowed with this wonderful gift of a man, and share with him my strengths, my weaknesses and my shenanigans. Not only is he my boyfriend, but doubles as my bestfriend, my teacher and my own personal cheerleader. 
He even wants to make me dinner. ME. The one with the impossible metabolic disorder. If that doesn't show you how amazing he is to me I don't know what will.

So a note to those still amid the chaos of the single war.

I was there and it can suck, I'm not going to sugarcoat it for you. I almost had given up on the hope of ever finding that happiness. But, in my continuous (if minuscule at times) faith that maybe, somewhere out there among 7 billion people is someone God has for me, then God has someone out there waiting for you.
I hadn't been on a second date until I was 21.
Caleb is my first, but my best decision I've made in my life and the best boyfriend I could have.

Sometimes being patient is so difficult, but waiting 21 years or longer to find such an amazing "person" is so worth the wait.

So in retrospect my dear readers,
Do not sell yourself for less then you are, you deserve to be treated to the best of your S/O's.
Wait for that perfect guy/girl, I have no doubt they're out there wondering if you exist too.
You got this.

-H

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Toxin Free.

.Radical Love.

Love Yourself.